Thursday, February 2, 2012

Scalable workouts make working out with a partner more fun

Last weekend my wife & I worked out together. We're both frequent exercisers individually, but we have different bodies (obviously!) and tend to exercise differently. She's very flexible and has a stronger core and more definition than me - I don't think I could do 5 minutes of her 20 minute routine doing core work on the fitness ball. On the other hand, I'm stronger, more explosive, and have more endurance than her - she couldn't keep up with me in a run, bike, or swim.

So how did we workout together for 40 minutes? Crossfit.

We gathered up some of the exercise equipment from around the house - dumbbells, kettlebell, fitness ball, jump rope, pull-up bar, - and brought them into the room with the Versaclimber (best piece of equipment I ever bought!)

Next we set a timer for repeating 5-minute intervals. While one of us climbed, the other would hit the smaller equipment doing squats, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, ab work, etc. Then we switched.

A few beeps of the timer later, and we had done 40 minutes of hard work without resting! It was a great workout, and it was great working out with Cheryl. I'm looking forward to making this a regular part of our weekends.

-Chris Butterworth

No comments:

Post a Comment