Tuesday, August 14, 2012

links I like - 08-14-12

links I like - 08-14-12


Three articles with messages that sound pretty similar to what you'd normally find here (seems like a lot of people have been writing about portion sizes lately), and the funniest article on baby names I've ever read. Read on, and enjoy..

The World's Largest Cover Up of Our Deadliest Addiction, by Cade at Know My Body. This is one in a series of articles about sugar, and it's ever-increasing reach in the SAD (Standard American Diet.) I tend to limit sugar because it's empty calories - the calories still count, but they don't make you feel full, so you're likely to overeat when you eat too much sugar. Turns out they're empty calories which also inhibit some good stuff from happening within your body - another reason to at least moderate your sugar intake.

Training And Diet That Works: The Real Answer, by Vic Magary. Vic's answer: "Eat real food in appropriate quantity and train in a manner that is continually challenging." Hmmmm, sounds familiar. I've never met Vic, but so far he sounds like my brother from another mother.

The Best Non-Diet Diet, by Bonnie Taub-Dix via Eat+Run at usnews.com. Bonnie gets this one right - not so much because she's a big fan of the Mediterranean diet, but because of how she outlines the diet's principles. Eat in moderation (which means smaller portion sizes). Get away from junk and into regular foods (this will happen naturally when you lower portion sizes, because a bag of Cheetos does nothing to satisfy your hunger). The best diet is one you can live with. (yep.)

American Baby Names are Somehow Getting Even Worse, by Drew Magary at deadspin.com. I'm not sure where I came across this article, but I haven't laughed so hard while reading in a long, long time. I was sitting at my desk, laughing out loud, with tears in my eyes, and the people next to me looking at me like I was crazy! That being said, the article should be rated R for language and general offensiveness - don't click through if you'll be offended by what somebody says about what you named your child..

That's all for today. I hope you're having a great week, and I'll be back with more health and fitness tomorrow.

-Chris Butterworth

.

No comments:

Post a Comment