Tuesday, April 16, 2013

why the Boston Marathon?

why the Boston Marathon?


I had a post queued up for yesterday's Boston Marathon. I wanted to write a tribute to the Hoyts - the most inspirational father-son combo I've ever heard of. I wanted to write a more detailed follow-up story to the post I wrote about them 5 years ago ("Get Over It".)

bombs explode at the finish line of the Boston Marathon


But I can't; not today. Instead I'm left to wade through my emotions over yesterday's senseless bombings.

Why would someone do such a thing?

A marathon is a race, sure. But there are only a handful of people in the world who have a chance of winning. For everybody else, especially those taking longer than 4 hours to finish (when the bombs went off), the race is about achievement - personal triumph, overcoming challenges, celebration of loved ones. Why would someone choose to punish this group of people?

I'm shocked by it.

The images and video are shocking. The image in my mind is even worse. The instant change from triumphant joy to tragic pain is beyond unfair. Have you ever seen a child playing - running and laughing, when they suddenly fall down or run into something, and you can see their whole body and face change from joy to pain? This is like that, times ten thousand. Or ten million.

I'm not surprised.

I've wondered about something like this for years, ever since the Twin Towers on 9/11. Anytime I'm at a sporting event - Arizona Cardinals, Phoenix Coyotes, Spring Training baseball - or a crowded office building, or even a jam-packed shopping mall at Christmas-time, I wonder if this is the time some douchebag terrorist is going to take advantage of a large group of innocent people.

Times have changed.

Crowded places become potential target zones. Random schools are outlets for troubled teens' wrath. It's no longer safe to let your kids play outside by themselves..

This is bullshit. My heart and thoughts go out to the victims in yesterdays bombing attack. But my anger is going much further. I want justice, and I want vengeance. I want punishment - swift and severe - for people who do bad things to others.

Sure I'm going down a slippery slope. Where do we draw the line? Rapists? Hang 'em! Armed robbery? Put 'em away! Burglary? White collar crime? DUI?

I don't have the answers - not today. Mostly I have anger, sorrow, and frustration. I'm going to spend some time today thinking about yesterday's events and the people involved. And I'm going to make a concerted effort to enjoy my own life, and my family, that much more, because.. You never know...

-Chris Butterworth

.

No comments:

Post a Comment